Monday, August 15, 2011

Same Diamond, New Setting

As Rob mentioned in a previous post, he intentionally had the diamond placed in a simple setting so that I could pick a setting I liked.  Poor Rob had planned this out ahead of time, and had no idea that people would give me so much grief over “not liking” the ring, which couldn’t have been further from the truth. I repeatedly asked Rob, just to make sure, that going back to the jewelry store was his plan. If Rob hadn’t told me minutes after proposing that he wanted me to pick out a setting that suits me, I never would have gone to the jewelry store. Why would I have wanted to? The ring was gorgeous in a simple setting! It made me feel terrible that people kept assuming that I didn’t like the ring because it is my most prized possession. If I could only keep one item for the rest of my life, it would be the ring.

We did go to the jewelers. I wanted to go right away because the ring was too big.  Unfortunately, to resize the ring would have taken about a week. I opted to wait until I decided on the ring I wanted.

I looked for about an hour and a half before finding what I wanted. I was looking for a setting, kind of similar to the one Rob had picked, but a thinner band with small stones on it.  I didn’t want those small stones to be too shiny or big so as to distract from the center diamond—I think the jeweler was amused by me not wanting “too shiny diamonds”.  The jewelry store was then closed for two weeks, so we ended up going back a second time and picking out the final ring.  (It seems pretty standard in the jewelry industry to close for two weeks in July.  So, anyone who is thinking about making a major jewelry purchase around late June should take this into account.) 

I initially hesitated to say yes to the ring I wanted after getting a price. I’ve never purchased expensive jewelry before, and had no idea how much it costs.  Thankfully, I have an amazing fiancé who knows me well and took me aside to convince me that if that was the ring I wanted, that was the ring he wanted to get, we could afford it, I’d wear it forever, etc.

I loved the ring the moment I put it on. Since I picked it up from the jewelers, I am unable to go too long without glancing at it.


My new ring! Same diamond, new setting.


The sales person kept making a big deal about how Michael B (the ring designer) had such a beautiful box. This is the ring in the fancy box, which is really just shiny yellow as opposed to the standard black.

Side view--I love the detailing design along the center stone.

No comments:

Post a Comment