Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Proposal

I thought Friday June 17, 2011 was going to be a typical day.  It was a furlough day for me, so I had the evening off work.  Rob had suggested the previous week that we karaoke this weekend.  I went over to his apartment after he was home from work.  We ordered in dinner and watched television. I wanted to watch the National Geographic show, Taboo. As we scrolled through the episode choices, we settled on the episode about marriage.  I don’t remember Rob pushing for this choice at all; in hindsight, it’s pretty amusing that I picked that episode when Rob was sitting next to me knowing he was intended on proposing later.


That night happened to be unseasonably chilly, at least I thought so, mostly thanks to the wind. As we walked to Midtown Tavern, I nearly asked Rob to borrow his coat, which had the ring in one of the pockets. I ended up not asking for it because I knew it had a little gun in the pocket (the area we were walking through to get to Midtown Tavern starts becoming a little sketchy) and I didn’t want to have the gun.  (Later, I asked Rob if he would have refused to give me his coat if I had asked.  He said he would have made up an excuse for me to cross the street first while he took off the coat, and at that time would have moved the ring from the jacket).   

Outside view of the place on the night where it all went down
(Photo: Courtesy of Grant Surrant)
We met Catherine at the bar—got our seats, beers, and the song book, just like normal.  Catherine sang first, then me, and then Rob. When Rob was singing, I started heading back to the table.  Catherine, who was recording Rob on her phone, told me to go back towards the front to watch. I didn’t think much of her recording his performance. He had recorded some of mine. I wasn’t sure why she insisted that I not return to the table though. So I went back upfront where I danced and sang along with the lyrics to the “Walls” by Tom Petty.  During the instrumental break in the song, Rob started talking into the microphone. I don’t remember what I was thinking then. I was probably confused. He said “Hey Melanie. I love more than anything else in this world. And having a musical break seems like a decent time to ask…Will you marry me?”  He pulled out the ring.
Rob on stage with the ring asking me to marry him
(Photo: Courtesy of Grant Surrant)

I was shocked. I nodded my head and said yes. From there, he came down from the stage and got down on one knee. He finished most of the song. I kept repeating “Oh my gosh!” I couldn’t believe that this was actually happening. It felt surreal, like a dream.


Down on one knee--My mouth is wide own with shock
(Photo: Courtesy of Grant Surrant)
Luckily for us, a photographer happened to be at the bar that evening taking pictures. He was kind enough to send us some of the pictures he captured. Grant Surrant--check him out. We got a few pictures together minutes after being engaged.






The ring is beautiful..I couldn't stop looking at it. Here's a closer picture..


My gorgeous engagment ring--He did a great job!


In case you want to my description and photos aren't enough, there is a video of it that Catherine recorded her phone. The original video was sent in 3 parts (the file was too big to send as one), however Rob worked some magic editing skills and produced this..
https://picasaweb.google.com/rjcurylo/RobAndMel?authkey=Gv1sRgCN-O5sS9_uGtNg&feat=email#5633072332348700450

No comments:

Post a Comment