Sunday, July 31, 2011

A view from the groom

Asking Melanie to marry me has been the best decision of my life. Once I made the decision to do it, I knew that I wanted to do it in a way that was right for us. To that end, I decided there were three big tasks to accomplish:

(1) Talk to her parents.

(2) Choose a ring.

(3) Come up with a proposal.

Throughout the process, I wanted to keep my plans a secret from Melanie. I was fairly certain that she would say “yes,” as we had talked about getting married and had started discussing our future together in terms of “when” rather than “if”. Even so, we hadn’t discussed any sort of time frame, and I didn’t think she expected that a proposal was imminent. I also know that she likes surprises.[1] That being the case, I knew if I could plan everything without her catching on, it would make her even happier.

Over the course of the next few weeks, I set things in motion…



[1] Good surprises, that is. I doubt that I could talk my way out of doing something wrong by telling her “Surprise!” at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment